Thursday, May 9, 2013

International Ms Leather 2013 Speech


My name is Nyx; I am a Leathergirl and I love my Community!

I knew I was on the right path the first night that I walked into the Center for Sex Positive Culture - it was a Thanksgiving night and talk about a reason to be thankful, I just discovered I was kinky! Years later, I would meet my partner there, and we would embark on a wondrous journey together; introducing me to Leather as not just a fetish but a Lifestyle and Identity. Young, naive and eager as I was, the Community welcomed me in with strong, sure arms and I was home!

In the years since I found this Community, you have become my family and I could not ask for a better one. You have taught me the importance of respect for not only others but for myself; and I have learned that service and boots sometimes DO go hand-in-hand. As Washington State Ms Leather 2012, it was my goal to promote cooperation between groups and organizations, to encourage tolerance and acceptance of all, and to to be an easily visible and accessible spokesperson for the Community. We had our successes :  President Obama declared June "National Gay Pride Month" and we saw Washington, Maine and Maryland vote to recognize the right to marry for same-sex couples. We also saw struggles with equality within our own ranks.

I want to be International Ms Leather 2013 to continue these efforts to encourage the young and the hungry to engage and be involved, and our more seasoned members to welcome and teach them. All the while asking the hard but equally needed questions such as "are we truly treating our brothers and sisters as equals?", "is this foundation solid, to grow with a changing world or must we adapt?" and of course "can we as a Community grow and progress while remembering our history?"

I look forward to seeing the answers my Community comes to, and I want to be your International Ms Leather 2013!
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment