Wednesday, May 29, 2013

IML in review

Given a time crunch, I didn't get to post a pre-IML post but that's alright because now I can talk about the event and not expectations - which is probably for the best anyway.

I went to IML to not only attend but to assist and attend Sir so that he had a personal runner for all the small things; this was a very different experience from being a co-contestant. When we ran for Washington, it was all one contest and we were both competing simultaneously for our respective titles. I got to see a few moments of him on stage, he saw a few glimpses of me; but neither of us really got to see the other's stage time. Because of this, we didn't really have a lot of time to assist each other during the actual competition last year.

IMsL was, therefore, a very different experience for me.
It was - for one thing - a larger competition with 8 women as opposed to Washington's 3 competitors; and the venue was significantly larger as well as the attendance. People came from around the country, continent and world to attend this convention and contest. I also had a lot more to do as a contestant and needed a lot more assistance - thus Sir and our Steel-Toed Boot Black Mare both stepping up to be runners for the contest.

IML was something I wasn't prepared for, even after attending IMsL.
The attendance was even larger, there were 51 men running for the IML title alone; the vendor market was huge, and the atmosphere was one of excitement and fun as well as a certain level of sexuality that I'd never encountered at a leather contest. Guys were cruising left, right, center, top and bottom (yes I intended the pun).
I arrived Friday morning and immediately was on the go, running to make sure things were where they needed to be and, despite a few small mishaps over the weekend, we were able to get everything handled pretty easily. and I was even able to pick up a volunteer shift!

But on to the really important (to me) part of the event : the contest.
Sir had his interview bright and early Friday and this was closed to the public so I could not be there to see it. He felt that it went well and the questions that were asked were both in-depth and specific to him and his journey into leather. It was a wonderful experience for him and I was very happy to hear that he felt the interview went well. That night was the opening ceremonies, I didn't get the chance to make it to that doing prep and whatnot so I can't attest to that portion of the event but heard that it was interesting though very low key in some ways. (now I wish I had had a chance to go!)
Saturday, I got everything packed for the day, we had lunch, and then it was time for him to go rehearse so I got the rest of the items lined up for Sunday and got ready to go over myself to the event. I've never been to such a large contest and was amazed by how long it simply took to run through all the contestants. 51 men is a lot of man-meat, if you know what I'm saying! The pop questions were good, although some of them were really tough - and I was disappointed by how many contestants didn't actually answer the questions they were asked.
After the Pecs & Personalities portion of the contest (Saturday night), we took the shuttles back to the host hotel and wouldn't you know it, apparently I was quite interesting to all the leathermen out there. Apparently a leathergirl with attitude is unusual but I am a drag queen at heart, and therefore prone to fierceness in heels, so it was quite fun for me! We spent hours just socializing, talking and getting to know other attendees and (well, I was finally able to get to know) other contestants. Finally, it was time for bed, and I was quite happy to be off my feet.
Sexiness can be quite painful when it's in the form of 4 1/2" stilettos. Just saying.

Sunday dawned earlier than I wanted it to, but how could I complain when I was curled up next to Sir all night, warm and snuggled? We were invited to a brunch hosted by another of the other contestants, and after that, Sir would be gone all day prepping for the final night. So as a result, there was more mad packing before heading down for a light breakfast and mimosas.
Then I had a few hours before my volunteer shift, so I ran a few last minute errands, wandered the vendor market (both floors, it was huge!) and eventually headed back up to the room to get ready for my shift. I was fortunate enough to get a security shift at the event so I'd be able to keep half an eye on the contest during the night and the crowd - though large - was amazingly well behaved so I was able to enjoy a decent bit of the night even though I kept an eye out for any needs or issues (we had none in my section, and none I am aware of). I was disappointed that Sir did not make Top 20, although we found out later he was very close and had done a wonderful job the entire weekend; but I couldn't be prouder of him because he was such a great representation of our community here in Washington and he was true to himself above all else.

A huge congratulations is in order to the new title holders :
International Mr. Leather 2013 : Andy Cross - Mr. San Francisco Leather 2013
International Mr. Boot Black 2013 : Oiltan Sam - Oregon State Boot Black 2012

We were both exhausted after the contest so we stayed at the hotel, visited with some new and some old friends for a while before heading to bed and just curling up. As I had to fly out Monday, it was an early morning of packing and then re-packing and then re-re-packing as needed get everything tidily on it's way home. Sir and I were sad to part again, even for just a day, but off to the airport I went while he stayed with his class brothers for a final day of events and bonding.

He arrived home safely last night (Tuesday) and now it's back to life as usual.
The agenda : a few days off and starting the game of looking for a place to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment