Monday, November 12, 2012

Bootblacking 101

There are so many classes with this title and this certainly isn't a class but I was asked several times this weekend as to what is the basics of a new bootblack kit and I desperately wanted to compile a decent list of the items and pearls of wisdom for starting out blacking boots.

First off, we'll cover the items you need in your kit.

  • Super glue
  • Saddle soap / Glycerin Soap (if you use glycerin, MUST be un-dyed/-scented)
  • Dauber Brush (Start with a small for boots, a med for small apparel like vests, and a large for pants/coats/chaps)
  • Old toothbrush
  • Water bottle (Trust me on this, get a hair mist bottle from the $1 store)
  • Dish for water (tupperware/plastic bowls are smart)
  • Towels (hand towel or wash clothes to be retired)
  • Black Polish (Kiwi / Lincoln's solid wax or Meltonian creme wax)
  • Boot Oil (I use Oubenoff's LP)
  • Soft cloth rags (old Tshirts cut into 4" x 12" strips are good)
  • Boot brush (small or large - use separate brushes for polish & oil items)
  • Nylons (used, worn in, the older and more worn the better)
  • Head lamp

In answer to common questions, you can get pretty much all the leather care specific items from a cobbler. (I will update this with a list of cobblers I am aware of) Keep in mind that each cobbler will be an independent retailer so there won't be much guarantee of pricing equality - which can be very frustrating.

If you already have the basics but need to further your kit, here's a short list of other items that are great to get once you're up and going.

  • Leather dye (Fiebing's is the brand I am most familiar with)
  • Leather apparel oil (Again, I use Oubenoff's)
  • Brown polish
  • Extra brushes as needed (I like to have 2 small brushes for each leather type I work with, ie: black, brown, neutral wax/creme polishes each get a pair and then I have another pair for all my oil tan items)
  • Nail brush (If that matters)
  • Lots of extra rags

For plastic / clear coat boots; NEVER use a wax or oil on them. Among other issues, it will bead up and look gross plus it can damage the top film on the boot. You want to get a good pure silicone dressing (Pjur or M'Eros - which I think I spelled wrong - are recommended for it) and use sparingly. A little silicone goes a ludicrously long way.
Oh, and don't put wax polish on an oil tan to "make it shiny" - the leather wasn't prepared the same way and while it will last short term, it'll look worse later and it's a bitch to undo. Pardon my French.

And that's at least a starting place. :)

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I've noticed in the blogs I've found, people describe differences in the types of boots and shines and what to use on which, but... how do you tell the differences? Is there a quick picture reference to check out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.heddels.com/2014/10/know-shoe-leathers-9-common-options/

    This is a decent starter's guide.
    Most boots are going to be an oil tan leather, a polish leather (creme polish or hard wax depends on the shine you aim for as well as the base leather you are working with), or suede which has separate care from the others.

    ReplyDelete