Monday, September 10, 2012

SlutWalk Accomplished!

Firstly, a thank you to everyone who came out to SlutWalk yesterday - it was a great turn out and the crowd had amazing energy. Thank you to each person who was a body and a voice speaking (more accurately screaming) against rape and victim-blaming. Seattle, as is the norm for young events, decided to threaten storms but that didn't slow down any of the proud marchers who came out in all shades of attire (or lack thereof) to show support and we had a decent crowd gather as we ramped up and pushed through the city center.

Marching at the front of the group with Sir and our friends who joined us, I was so proud of our city - Seattle truly is a wonderful place to live. I sometimes forget how many cities around Seattle aren't as supportive of alt lifestyle and don't consider the rights of the victims to be nearly as valid as the rights of the attacker. Whenever I remember these things, it scares me a little bit; I realize how frightening and hateful the world can be and how small a person I am and how easy it would be for something truly terrible to happen.
Fortunately, whenever I start to feel down, I just have to look around myself and at the community - we're strong and we protect our own. Like a pack of wolves, we don't like to see one of our own hurt and we fight to keep it from happening with loud howls of injustice and fierce fighting on all levels. We are strong and we are proud and we do not let fear control our lives. I am proud to be a Leather woman, to be Sir's girl and to be one of these strong people who knows the difference between what is wrong and what is right in the world.

This week is going to be chaotic for me; we have unpacking/cleaning to do at home as well as events possibly Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Next week, we leave for Folsom and I'm so very excited! It'll be my first time at Folsom and I'm not sure what I'll be wearing just yet. It should be fun either way though!

No comments:

Post a Comment